Election of First Year Representatives
Every year, in addition to the general LSS positions, there are two ‘First Year Representative’ positions available exclusively for First Year Law students (one male and one female).
What does a First Year Representative do?
- The role of the First Year Representative is primarily to bring to the LSS’s attention to issues that are specific to First Year Law Students – They are the “voice” of First Year Law students.
- First Year Representatives also assist with other LSS portfolios, which include Activities, Education, Careers and Sponsorship. They also attend monthly LSS meetings to collaborate with these portfolios.
- First Year Representatives are also given the exciting opportunity to get to know fellow Law students from different year levels.
How can I get involved?
STEP 1: Check whether you are eligible
- You must be enrolled in Torts I from Week 3, Semester 1 onwards.
STEP 2: Nominate yourself
- Nominations normally open in Week 3 of Semester 1 – check the AULSS Facebook page and regular AULSS emails for dates.
- Nominations will only be accepted after the date and time specified – not before. Once nominations have closed any late nominations will not be accepted.
- You can nominate yourself by emailing your name and a digital photograph of yourself (so voters can identify you) to email@example.com.
STEP 3: Address your peers
- If you have nominated yourself, you will be given the opportunity to address your peers on one of two days (generally before a Foundations of Law or Torts I lecture – watch the Facebook page and emails to check when this is).
- Each candidate has one minute to introduce him or herself and tell their peers a little about their interests and why they would be a good Representative.
STEP 4: Vote, vote, vote!
- Voting for one male and one female First Year Representative will take place in the Law School Foyer (Ligertwood Building), generally over two days. Again, check the Facebook page and your emails for more information
- To be eligible to vote you must be enrolled in Torts I from Week 3 of Semester 1.
- Results of the voting will be sent to students shortly after.
Is there anything else I need to know?
If you are interested, make sure you keep an eye on Facebook and your emails, so you don’t miss out on this opportunity.
- Excessive campaigning for First Year Representative elections is strictly not allowed.
What if I have any questions?
- Should you have any questions, please email the Vice President (Education) and Education Representative at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Being on the AULSS is a lot of fun and you will make many friends along the way. We strongly encourage you to get involved and be the next First Year Representative